This is the first recipe I’m sharing from a personal project that I am setting out to complete.
Last year my beloved grandmother died quite suddenly. My grandpa gave me a box that had a lot of recipes she saved. Clippings from magazines and things like that. When going through it I found that there were quite a few recipe cards in there. I decided that I wanted to photograph and post all of them so that everyone who wants to can have them.
Here is the original recipe card for these bars.
Oleo is another word for margarine. She would have used margarine originally but was back on the butter bandwagon by the end of her life. Use real butter.
I think it’s also worth noting that I used fresh pumpkin when making this recipe. These bars were bright orange because I used sugar pumpkins. The original recipe calls for pumpkin pie filling, so if you decide to do that then be sure that you sweeten it properly before using.
Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares
- 1 package yellow cake mix 1 cup of mix reserved
- 0.5 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 29 oz pumpkin pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup reserved yellow cake mix
- 0.25 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.25 cup butter melted
- Ensure that 1 cup of the cake mix has been reserved for the top crumble layer. Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Mix the rest of the cake mix with the 1/2 cup melted butter and a large egg. Press this mixture evenly into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Beat the pumpkin pie filling, 2 large eggs, and 2/3 cup of evaporated milk together. Pour over the crust.
- Combine the reserved cup of cake mix, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of melted butter. Crumble over the top of the pumpkin pie layer.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes. When it’s done a knife will come out clean when inserted into the center.