The everything but the bagel seasoning blend can be found at Trader Joes. If you don’t have access to one in your area then try looking up a recipe for everything bagel seasoning. They should be fairly similar.
Ham and Caramelized Onion Hawaiian Roll Sliders
prep time: 10 minscook time: 55 minstotal time: 65 mins
Toasted Hawaiian roll sandwiches stuffed with caramelized onion, black forest ham, and cheese. If that’s not enough, we use copious amounts of “Everything but the bagel seasoning.”
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 Hawaiian rolls (party pack size package)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 16 ounces deli sliced black forest ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Everything but the bagel sesame seasoning blend, to taste
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Peel the outer skin from the onion and slice it in half. Julienne both halves of the onion.
- Add the avocado oil to the skillet, then add 1 tablespoon of butter and allow it to melt. Once the butter stops foaming them it’s hot enough, add the onion.
- Add the onion then stir to ensure that all pieces are fully coated with butter. Add some salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to medium-low then continue to cook until the onions have caramelized. Stir constantly, check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Use the cooking spray to grease a large casserole dish.
- Cut all of the Hawaiian rolls in half so that the tops and bottoms are separated. Line the bottom of the casserole dish with all of the bottom halves.
- Spread the mayonnaise and mustard across the bread inside the casserole. Top with ham slices and grated cheese.
- Spread the caramelized onions on top of the cheese, then layer the tops halves of the Hawaiian rolls on top.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, then brush it across the tops of the rolls. Sprinkle an excessive amount of Everything but the Bagel Seasoning on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350F, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese inside is melted and gooey. Serve immediately. These never last long but the bread will go soft again if stored.