Lately, I’ve discovered that I enjoy making earrings with my Cricut. It’s really fun and easy to do if you have a few supplies. I like making mine out of faux leather sheets. Cricut has quite a few nice ones, but you can find a lot more patterns shopping online.
I recently started carrying some pleather sheets in my Etsy shop so I thought I’d show you how I made these earrings and what settings I used to create them. You can of course use any style sheets that you like. If you use the Cricut brand sheets just be sure to follow their instructions for cutting.
The design I used is an earring design that comes free if you subscribe to Cricut Access. The design is called Moon Fringe Earrings (#M130849A3) and it’s part of the leather earrings design set. I had trouble finding the image file by searching for its name or image number, so I created a file that you can simply open up if you’d like to try making it too. Click here to access the file.
Cherry Blossom Moon Fringe Earrings
- Open the project link then if prompted select open to launch Design Space. Click the "Make it" button.
- Ensure that "Mirror" is turned on for both mats. Make sure that the grey fringe mat is selected, then click on continue.
- Place the cherry blossom printed faux leather print side down on a purple "StrongGrip" mat.
- Make sure your machine is connected then click on "Browse all material." Select the category drop down then choose "leather." Click on "Garment Leather – 2-3 oz 0.8mm." Click on done.
- Design space will ask you if you want to callibrate the knife, select no. Click on edit tools then change the tool to the deep cut blade. I am using the fine-point blade, but selecting this will allow you to make the cut even if the fine-point blade is loaded.
- Load the mat into your machine then press the go button to make the cut.
- When it's done cutting unload the mat then set the fringe pieces aside.
- The cut settings should be the same when you select the next mat to cut, but verify that the mirror is turned on and the cut settings are correct. Place the pink leather onto a strong grip mat in the same way, then load it into the machine. Press the go button to cut out the moons.
- When you have finished cutting out the leather pieces, select two sizes of jump rings. You will need one larger and one smaller ring for each earring. Use the pliers to twist the larger ring open, then thread a fringe pieces and a moon shaped piece onto the ring so that they will lay on top of eachother. Close the ring.
- Use the pliers to twist open the smaller ring, then thread the other ring and the earring onto it. Make sure that the earring will dangle in the correct direction when worn. Twist the ring closed.
- Repeat with the other earring.